Homeowners Insurance for Pennsylvania Residents

No matter the place you call home, Reisinger Insurance Agency, Inc. will collaborate with you to define the protection you need. Like most things in life, your situation will be different from others, so we customize your plan whether you live in a house, townhome, condo or apartment.

Because your home is one of the most expensive and vital properties you may own, it is critical to choose the right plan from a variety of homeowners insurance policies. Focused on providing plans tailored to your budget and needs, our partners will have the necessary coverage to keep you and your home protected.

At Reisinger Insurance Agency Inc., we’ve helped homeowners throughout Perry County and beyond get the comprehensive, affordable insurance they need to protect their home against fire, theft, wind, water damage and other perils. We’re a local, family-owned-and-operated agency that has been providing excellent insurance coverage at great rates backed by the best service in the area since 1955.

What Homeowners Insurance Covers

Unlike auto insurance, there is no law that requires homeowners in Pennsylvania to insure their property. However, if you take out a mortgage to finance the purchase of your home, the lender will likely stipulate that you must carry insurance to protect its interest in the property.

The size and location of your home and whether you are an owner or renter do not affect the fact that our home insurance agents will find a policy to protect your place and everything in it. Your insurance is often the first line of defense in particular situations, and it will pay to replace personal property too.

The cost of your particular coverage will be determined by many factors, such as the quality of your insurer and whether the policy is on an all-risks or name perils basis. All-risks indicate that when something is not on the list, the coverage protects everything, meaning it is broader. Named perils cover only the losses cited in a contract.

Basic homeowners insurance coverages include:

  • Dwelling — Covers the house and attached structures against perils such as wind, fire, lightning strikes and more. You should carry dwelling coverage that equals your home’s full replacement cost, which is the amount of money it would require to replace or rebuild your home with materials of similar kind and quality. For other options, feel free to give us a call at 717-582-2321.
  • Other structures — Includes detached garages, outbuildings, barns, fences, tool sheds and similar structures and is typically limited to 10 to 20 percent of the dwelling coverage.
  • Personal property — Covers the home’s contents and your personal property by repairing or replacing items such as stolen electronics and damaged furniture. Any contents located in a shed are also covered under your policy.
  • Loss of use — Helps to pay for your living expenses if damage from a covered peril prevents you from living in the home or makes your home uninhabitable.
  • Liability — Grants coverage if you or a resident of your home are responsible for property damage or injuries incurred by others while on your property.

Optional Insurance Coverages

Homeowners policies do not always cover everything that a property owner may need to protect. Typical coverage includes damage from fires, hail, lightning strikes and windstorms, but not all natural disasters are in plans — floods, for instance, are not.

All policies have a separate “exclusions” section that lists specific perils or events that are not covered under the base policy. Examples include flood, water backup and sump pump overflow, home-based business activities and certain valuable items such as jewelry, watches, guns, coins and art pieces.

In the case that you need more insurance, you may be able to buy additional coverage for more protection. However, you can purchase separate insurance policies and even extend your coverage to more valuable items like jewelry and watches. Earthquake coverage isn’t included in standard policy, but can be endorsed to provide the coverage.

If someone injures themselves at your home, your liability plan may help pay for legal expenses or the person’s medical bills.

Types of Homeowners Policies Available in PA

According to the Pennsylvania Insurance Department, most companies that sell homeowners insurance in PA offer five basic policy types:

  • Form 2 — Also known as Homeowners Broad Form, this policy covers basic perils such as fire, lightning, wind damage, vandalism and theft, as well as various additional perils such as building collapse, accidental water discharge and falling objects. Form 2 also includes personal liability protection.
  • Form 3 — Homeowners Special Form policies are a more comprehensive version of Form 2 policies that cover the same perils, as well as the risk of direct loss to physical property.
  • Form 4 — Also known as Tenants Homeowners or Cooperative Homeowners Form, these policies enable renters to protect their personal property.
  • Form 6 — Condominium Homeowners Form policies enable condo owners to cover their personal property and liability — as well as the portion of the structure they own — against damages caused by the perils listed under Form 2.

How Much Homeowners Insurance Do I Need?

The amount of homeowners insurance you need all comes down to personal preference. Standard policies often cover some natural disasters like fires, hail and high winds.

Regarding personal possessions, many owners and renters conduct an inventory of their things to help create a round-about number. Each homeowners insurance policy has limits, or maximum amounts the policy will pay to cover losses. If you think you need additional living expense insurance, Reisinger Insurance Agency, Inc. can assist you and help you move in the right direction. We can adjust your limits right to where you need.

Do You Need Homeowners Insurance When You Buy a House?

While there is no law mandating that residential property owners in Pennsylvania carry homeowners insurance, mortgage lenders often require prospective buyers to have certain insurance coverages as a condition for loan approval — especially if your area is prone to flooding. Carrying insurance on your home also makes good sense when it comes to protecting the most valuable asset you may ever own.

After you pay your mortgage off, you no longer need homeowners insurance, but it is wise to continue your policy to avoid risking what you earned throughout the years.

We Also Offer Insurance for Renters

Are you renting a home or apartment in Perry County or the surrounding areas? While you don’t need insurance to protect the structure (that is the responsibility of the home’s owner), you need to protect your personal property against theft or damage. We can provide an affordable renter’s insurance policy that will help you replace your destroyed or stolen items and give you peace of mind.

Contact Us for a No-Obligation Homeowners Insurance Quote Today

If you still have questions about homeowners insurance policies and coverages? We’ve been serving the insurance needs of property owners and renters in Perry County and beyond for more than 60 years. If you’re in the market for homeowners insurance, the professionals at Reisinger Insurance Agency, Inc. are standing by, ready to help. As your local home insurance company, we are available if you need to contact us online for more information or request a free, customized insurance quote today.


Your Team of Experts

Local Leaders Driving Results

We Have the Expertise to Help You Make the Right Insurance Decisions

Purchasing the best homeowners coverage requires making the right choice in several important areas. For example, should you choose actual cash value (ACV) or replacement cost for your contents coverage? Is $100,000 of liability coverage enough, or should you carry $300,000 or even $500,000? Our licensed agents can review your situation and make an informed recommendation you can trust. We’ll also be there after the sale to assist you with everything from billing and making policy changes to filing and managing claims.

Accidents Happen. We can help.

A home is a cherished and loved place. Find out how we can protect it. 

We also know every home is different. Tell us what is important to you and we will make sure to get it covered while providing you the service with your own personal agent.

Contact Us today to get a quote!

We want to work with you!